29 July 2010

Francis of A Sissy

They were a little sheepish, the Cork contingent of ICB when the local brewery launched a pink beer. While new brews are always welcome, it's best not to get too excited in case someone thinks you're a bit... you know. Me I'm always ready to embrace my fruity side, so it was on with my most flamboyant outfit and off down to The Franciscan Well to see what all the excitement manly banter was about.

There's no doubting the pinkness of Raspberry Weisse, though my camera seems to have spared the head its blushes: in real life it's very very pink. However, I think it's unlikely that this has ever had a real raspberry near it. Raspberries ferment, and generally leave quite a dry beer, whereas this gives off a powerfully sweet artificial aroma that immediately activated one of my nostalgia sensors: if you weren't raised in Northern Ireland or Scotland around the same time I was this isn't going to mean much to you, but it smells exactly like Creamola Foam, and that carries through on tasting in the powdery effervescent mouthfeel.

My assumption was that they'd just added the raspberry flavour into the house weissbier Friar Weisse, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Friar Weisse (which changes quite a bit from batch to batch) is going through one of its more Bavarian phases at the moment, whereas the base beer of Raspberry Weisse is rather dry with quite a nice wheaty cereal finish. And so tacked-on is the fruit flavouring it's actually possible to ignore it and enjoy the real beer underneath, with only the screamingly pink colour to assault your senses (as well as your dress sense, hairstyle and proficiency on the dancefloor).

I'd go as far as to say it's worth drinking. Though with craft beer fans of a girly persuasion a bit thin on the ground on North Mall, it remains to be seen who actually will.

5 comments:

  1. I love the title of this post, brilliant. Sounds like a nice enough beer. I brewed a raspberry beer and it turned out really dry and tart so I doubt there are real raspberries in it if it's that sweet. Good to see you got in touch with your pink side though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I bet my wife will love it if we get back to Cork while it is available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creamola Foam? Haven't even thought about that stuff for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a major part of my childhood and I remember the taste and texture very keenly. Being raised on soft drinks based on baking soda rather than carbonated water might go some way to explain my intense dislike of overcarbonated beer, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mdagnew12:17 pm

    Ahhh.. Creamola foam - those were the days. I've often thought that when drinking some of the sweeter Belgian fruit beers. Seems i wasn't the only one....

    ReplyDelete